Wednesday, March 18, 2009

LESSON LEARNED . . . STILL NICE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD TODAY!

So I just had to share a little experience we had Tuesday night for all you fellow pumpers and if not a pumper to reassure you that there are still caring people in the human race! To make a long story short, Tuesday night our family took a little road trip down to Provo. We were snacking as usual and Dalton was entering his carbs, we thought all was well. UNTIL we stopped in American Fork for dinner. Dalton tested and his meter would not read his sugar, meaning it was higher than 600. A little panicked, but not extremely thinking he had ate something without entering we entered his correction dose. I then went and ordered our food. When I got back to our table Dalton had a wet spot on his pants next to his pump and Dan said his tubing was leaking. This is where the panic sunk in, I have stuff in my purse for when he goes low, but since we had the pump I have not carried the big bag of supplies. What to do, I have no extra pump sites or tubing to change, no syringe to take insulin out of his reservoir and I am an hour away from home and an hour away from Primary Childrens. Oh and did I mention he is starving, but I can not let him eat because no way of giving him insulin.

Stress was high and tension between Dan and I well I will leave that to your imagination. We packed up our food and kids and headed towards the freeway unknowing whether to go the back way and speed as fast as we could (spots with no cell service) or stay on freeway and head knowing we had cell service and closer to a hospital?????????

This is where my faith in man has been restored. We are traveling to the freeway and we pass an Albertsons with big lights that say PHARMACY! I told Dan it is worth a try to stop in and see if they will sell me either syringes so I could try to get insulin out of the reservoir, a bottle of insulin or possibly a new site for his pump. Knowing dang well I had never filled a prescription there and if I did not have a syringe on me it is not like I carry a prescription for one either.

So I drag Dalton in, it is 8:50 and they close at 9:00. The Pharmacist was out closing up the waiting area and I frantically told him I was a ways from home, my sons pump was not working and I need a syringe would he sell me one! You can imagine the look I got, LADY you want me to sell you a syringe to shoot what? I showed him Dalton's pump calmed down and explained again. He could see my panic and went right back behind the counter pulled out a couple syringes and would not even let me pay for them. I was going to leave and he kindly said why don't you try those needles in here because if they won't fit in the tubing he had allergy syringes that were smaller, but I know as kind as he was and sympathetic to my stress he would have gave me some insulin too if that would have not worked. BUT fortunately for us I was able to get the insulin out of the reservoir and then it was testing every 1/2 on the way home. His sugar did not even begin to register until 11:30 and it came down to 593. Then we were up every hour making sure it continued coming down, testing for ketones and making sure he didn't drop.

Which of course he did at 3:30 a.m. to 58 and the poor boy did not even remember me forcing gummies down him to bring his sugar up. So I am so thankful for kind and caring people. PLUS, a small lesson learned, my purse will always have a syringe and site change in it, and every car we own will have a couple site changes and syringes as well.

2 comments:

Hiedi said...

How scary! Yes there are still good caring people in the world today. What a blessing the pharmacy was still open and you thought to give it a try!

Britt said...

I got all teary eyed for you!.. So been there (different medical issue but panic all the same). So glad Dalton is okay and the pharmacy at Alberstons was able to help you out.

If you ever need anything I am here too help! :) Take care